- Free Diagnostic On Your Vehicle And Free Quote.
- We have over 950 5 star Reviews.
- 25 Years in Business!!
- FixCarNow Provides a 2 Year Warranty On Parts And Service.
- Free Loaner Car While Your Car Is Being Serviced.
- Shuttle To/From Office/Home.
Your car’s radiator performs one of the most important jobs in keeping your car functioning – ensuring your car runs at a safe operating temperature. Once a car overheats, immediate damage can occur. If your car does overheat, pull over, turn it off immediately and call Fixcarnow for help – we are available 24 hours a day. Irreparable and expensive damage can be done if you continue to drive while overheating. This is one reason why it’s important to have regular maintenance performed on your radiator, as particles can clog essential elements and cause breakdown without any warning.
Some engines are more prone than others to overheating. They are not designed to have much tolerance for heat. This means that once a situation that could cause overheating occurs, these engines have less margin for error and are more likely to overheat quickly and suffer damage. But there always must be a problem causing the overheating to begin with, and the technicians at Fixcarnow are experts at finding that problem.
Given the importance of proper engine operating temperature, maintaining the functionality of your radiator is of great importance. The ASE-certified technicians at Fixcarnow in West Los Angeles will inspect and repair the following during a radiator service:
- Thermostat is tested. The thermostat is often wrecked during overheating and should be replaced if this happens.
- Check for coolant leaks, as this is the primary reason overheating occurs. Possible leak points include hoses, the radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat housing, head gasket, freeze plugs, automatic transmission oil cooler, cylinder head(s) and block.
- Check the radiator cap for proper tightness.
- Check that the fan and fan clutch are functioning properly. A missing fan shroud can reduce the fan’s effectiveness by as much as fifty percent, which may be enough to cause the engine to overheat in hot weather or when working hard.
- Check the water pump for wobble or leakage.
- Check the condition of relevant belts and hoses. Worn belts will not turn fast enough to circulate the coolant or turn the fan.
- Check the radiator for dirt, bugs and debris which block air flow through the core and reduce the radiator’s ability to dissipate heat. Internal corrosion and an accumulation of deposits can prevent coolant circulation and hamper cooling.
- Check the exhaust system for backpressure.
- Check brakes or ‘dragging’ as this can cause the engine to work too hard.
Fixcarnow recommends that you have your radiator serviced once per year given the temperate weather in Los Angeles. Areas with greater extremes will require radiators to be serviced twice per year. The National Automotive Radiator Service Association (NARSA) recommends having a seven-point preventative maintenance check performed at least once every two years. If you live in a moderate climate, you should perform or have performed a seven-point preventative maintenance check every year.